Friday, July 01, 2005

Canada Day


So, today is a day where we Canadians celebrate the birth of our nation. I've got to say, however, as much as I love this country and all of the freedoms it has, I am quite disappointed in what our Government has done this week. This week, a bill was passed, that I am sure is not supported by the majority of Canadians.
I can't say that I'm angry about this new law - I'm not really the discriminating type - but, I am angry that the minority government we have right now, pushed the bill through parliament without a referendum, without asking Canadians what we want.
Just to give an example of what I mean about Government officials passing what the Canadian public doesn't want, one member of the Liberal (the governing party) Caucus voted in line with what his constituents wanted - he voted on what the people who elected him wanted (isn't that what every politician should do?), which was contrary to "party policy". He lost his job.
A couple of months ago, a woman, who was elected to represent a people with Conservative values, crossed the floor to become a Liberal - totally against what the people who elected her wanted as representation for their area.

Canada has long been thought of as a country of friendly people. A few of our stronger 'partner' nations have used our good nature to try to bully us in the past (WWII, Cuban Missile Crisis); but, now it seems it's our own leadership that is bullying us! Yet, because most people can't see an appropriate alternative, this bullying by our politicians will continue to go on.

So, what will I be celebrating this Canada Day? I will be celebrating the freedom I still enjoy, I will be celebrating the fact that we do live in a Free Enterprise economic system, and I will be celebrating my day off work. I will not, however, be celebrating our current Government.

God, bless this nation, and every other nation on this great planet.

2 Comments:

At 7/03/2005 11:42 a.m., Blogger Zorro! said...

Canada is one of my favorite countries.

Happy birthday,Canada!

 
At 7/04/2005 11:31 a.m., Blogger J Man said...

I believe this article was posted in the Winnepeg Sun:

Mon, July 4, 2005

Shameful way to operate in a 'free country'

By LYDIA LOVRIC

Even proponents of same-sex marriage should be appalled by the way Bill C-38 was pushed through Parliament last week. Rather than allowing proper debate on the matter, the Liberal government imposed a time limit on the discussion -- a slap in the face to democracy.

Forgive my naivete, but don't we pay our politicians to debate important issues? It is an affront to the entire parliamentary process to bar MPs from speaking on behalf of their constituents.

I may support same-sex marriage, but I'm certainly not so self-important as to suggest that debating the issue is without merit.

Canadians deserve to be heard. Paul Martin effectively silenced the many Canadians who oppose same-sex marriage. The subsequent "victory" will always be marked with an asterisk.

The prime minister even went so far as to bully his own cabinet ministers so they would toe the party line. Rather than face a demotion, these cabinet ministers (several of whom had been against same-sex marriage) quickly had a change of heart and voted in favour of the legislation.

Only one had the courage to stand by his convictions. Joe Comuzzi didn't care about losing his portfolio or the extra cash that goes along with it. The Thunder Bay MP decided to keep the promise he made to his constituents during the last election and resigned from cabinet before voting against Bill C-38.

"I'm just concerned about the commitment I made," explained Comuzzi following his resignation. "I intend to fulfill that obligation to the people who elected me."

One might argue that since Comuzzi kept his word, he had no choice but to remove himself from the Liberal cabinet. Whether you agree with his stance or not, the man has integrity.

After all the tomfoolery that's been going on in Ottawa, I have to ask myself if I still live in Canada. The guerrilla tactics used by Martin do little to advance democracy and the hijinks we've seen in the House of Commons reminds me of a group of feral five-year-olds.

Wait. I take that back. Most five-year-olds I know are far more mature than the average member of Parliament.

Martin wasn't the only leader to try to strong-arm his colleagues. NDP leader Jack Layton banished Bev Desjarlais to a back-row seat after the Manitoba MP voted against the bill.

"I agree with probably 99.9% of the policies in the New Democratic Party," insisted Desjarlais. "I don't agree with this one and hopefully that can be accepted."

Apparently, it can't.

Obviously, if a party member consistently votes against party lines, then the leader has every right to ask the wayward MP if perhaps he or she should consider joining a different party or sitting as an independent.

But having the occasional difference of opinion should not only be tolerated, but encouraged. Members should feel free to vote their conscience and should never be coerced into breaking a promise made to their constituents.

Kudos to Comuzzi and Desjarlais for putting principle ahead of self-preservation -- even though I disagree with their position. And Conservative Leader Stephen Harper should also be applauded for allowing a free vote.

Sadly, freedom of speech and freedom of thought seem to be in short supply in Ottawa. Too bad the same can't be said of stupidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home