Thursday, October 21, 2004

"Must be nice"

You know, I heard those words a lot when I was in High School - "must be nice". You see, my friends thought I had a pretty easy life, if all I needed to do to ease my emotional pains was to listen to a song or two.
The one that I discovered that almost always set me free was Someday I'll Be Saturday Night by Bon Jovi. Here are the lyrics:

Hey, man I'm alive I'm takin' each day and night at a time
I'm feelin' like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night

Hey, my name is Jim, where did I go wrong
My life's a bargain basement, all the good shit's gone
I just can't hold a job, where do I belong
I'm sleeping in my car, my dreams move on

My name is Billy Jean, my love was bought and sold
I'm only sixteen, I feel a hundred years old
My foster daddy went, took my innocence away
The street life ain't much better, but at least I get paid

And Tuesday just might go my way
It can't get worse than yesterday
Thursdays, Fridays ain't been kind
But somehow I'll survive

Hey man I'm alive I'm takin' each day and night at a time
Yeah I'm down, but I know I'll get by
Hey hey hey hey, man gotta live my life
Like I ain't got nothin' but this roll of the dice
I'm feelin' like a Monday, but someday I'll be Saturday night

Now I can't say my name, and tell you where I am
I want to roll myself away, don't know if I can
I wish that I could be in some other time and place
With someone else's soul, someone else's face

Oh, Tuesday just might go my way
It can't get worse than yesterday
Thursdays, Fridays ain't been kind
But somehow I'll survive

Hey, man I'm alive I'm takin' each day and night at a time
Yeah I'm down, but I know I'll get by
Hey hey hey hey, man gotta live my life
I'm gonna pick up all the pieces and what's left of my pride
I'm feelin' like a Monday, but someday I'll be Saturday night

Saturday night
here we go

Some day I'll be Saturday night
I'll be back on my feet, I'll be doin' alright
It may not be tomorrow baby, that's ok
I ain't goin' down, gonna find a way, hey hey hey

Hey man I'm alive I'm takin' each day and night at a time
Yeah, I'm down, but I know I'll get by
Hey hey hey hey, man, gotta live my life
Like I ain't got nothin' but this roll of the dice
I'm feelin' like a Monday, but someday I'll be Saturday night
I'm feelin' like a Monday, but someday I'll be Saturday


You see, no matter what crap I go through, it could always be a lot worse. I know the people in this song are fictional, but their stories could very well be real. I would listen to this song - really listen to it - and realize that no matter how crappy things are right now, they'd always get better. Then I'd think, well if they'd get better someday, why not today, and purpose to change my mood.
Now you psycho-analyst types might be thinking, "Man, this guy's got to have a whole bunch of latent anger issues (or some other emotional baggage)." You may be right, but I don't think so. I'm a pretty level guy, who almost always says it how it is. I express my emotions, but know that being in a crappy mood for long does nobody any good. So, I do what I can to consciously change what I can.

Back to the music bit...
I love music. I love to sing most songs from a first person POV. Get into the lyrics, and pretend to be someone else for 3 minutes. Not because my life is boring, but I want to know and experience all I can, and have found that I can actually live vicariously through these songs!
I can be Major Tom speaking to Ground Control, or Living On A Prayer. I can Shine and declare the wonders of the Lord, and Live Like I was Dying. I can Wish it would Rain, and morn the loss of a lover, and Be on Cloud 9.
It's all there. It's all mine. I think my grade 9 English teacher called it a "willing state of disbelief"... or something like that. I choose to momentarily make something real, that isn't.

Lots fun! Try it :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home