Tuesday, March 09, 2010

"You have 20 minutes..."

"You have 20 minutes to make things right, or I'm leaving you behind!"

That's what God told me in a dream, just before the alarm went off this morning. In the dream, I frantically call the people closest to me, praying I get Voice Mail because I know if they pick up, I'll never get to everyone I need to talk to. I leave messages for my wife and son, for my mother and father and for my Grandma on the island (which is kind of weird because I don't see or talk to her often at all). I look at my watch and start freaking out because it's been 23 minutes! "What does this mean??!! God! It's been more than 20 minutes! I'm still here! What does this mean??!!"
You see, right after I heard those words from God, I started to protest; but, He cut me off and said, "No, you have 20 minutes to make things right, or I'm leaving you behind."

I woke up from the dream and just pondered for a bit. I felt at peace, but still there's a sense of urgency. I have my iPod on my bedside table because I like to fall asleep to music. Last night, I just let everything on there play at random and left it playing when I fell asleep. This morning, I put the headphones and a session from IHOP-KC's (not the pancake place, the prayer place) Joseph Company - their business training track - from 2004 and Chris Dupre was sharing about a friend of his who's so focused when in leadership that he cuts people out and leaves them behind. Chris said to his friend, "God gave you that gift of focus, but do you realize that because you've put locks on that door, you have no options at that moment?" Chris asks his friend, "How many people have left your company because of the nature of your 'personality'?"
Chris goes on to say that we feel justified being 'in mode' because, like the Blues Brothers, "We're on a mission from God."


Here, in the span of about half an hour, I get 2 clear messages that we are called to Love more than ourselves. The calls I made to my family in the dream were to tell them how much I loved and appreciated them and share with them what was on my heart. In the Joseph Company Session, Chris tells his friend to find practical ways to Love the people he hires.

Life is so busy. How in Heaven's Name are we supposed to live the way the Bible describes that we're meant to, and not neglect those things which are a vital part of our lives? It's what I struggle with every day. I am trying to be involved with things that I know I'm called to, yet at the same time I want to have deeper, more meaningful relationships.
Shortly before my son was born, someone I'd known for over 10 years told me that I was a bad friend and was going to be a poor father. Now, I really don't take much stock in what they said, it was a hard time for both of us; but, every once in a while I remember what they said and think that part of what they said about friendship has merit (they really have no clue at how great a father I turned out to be!!), but I usually chalk it up as part of my personality and my close friends realize that and love be in spite of my flaws. But, these days, it seems that God has put his thumb on a certain lack of friendliness I often have when life gets busy. I need to find a way to tell those I cherish that they are important to me, and that I do need them in my life.

I need to make time for them. We need to make time for our loved ones. Our loved ones are what make life worth living - not our jobs, our stuff, or even our 'Calling'... it's our loved ones.

Jenn, Mom, Dad, Cori, Adrianne, Lee, Dave... anyone else who's close to me and reads this blog, (as tears roll down my cheeks at 8:30 in the morning on my day off) I love you. I cherish you in my life. I want to see you more. Pray that God helps us make a way.

3 Comments:

At 3/09/2010 8:40 a.m., Blogger J Man said...

I'm helping organize a conference who's purpose is to help us live a "Sermon On The Mount" lifestyle in the midst of real life.

Check it out at http://www.hopedmonton.ca/awaken/Home.html

 
At 3/09/2010 4:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Son....we know you love us...you are a generous man with your love and your time; we can't be all things to all people. I for one enjoy the "quality" of our time as much as the quantity. Hugs and love always; Mom

 
At 3/09/2010 6:14 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Very interesting Jay! I am coming to believe that people find it too easy to get wrapped up in their daily long term goals (Jobs, hobbies etc) that they feel sacrifice becomes a big issue when it comes to putting time aside for loved ones. I am experiencing this at the moment. I cannot explain how I feel this way.. but I am certain that when putting loved ones ahead of all else, besides time with God, you have a fuller sense of being. This is a true way to become closer with God.


You rock Duuuude!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home