Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Day of News

Yesterday was an interesting day. Three friends shared with me 3 very substantial occurrences in their lives:

First, a good friend of mine informed me that she was pregnant! It was interesting b/c a couple of days earlier, she asked me to ask God if she was - kind of to prophetically confirm her suspicions. She thought it might still be too early to tell w/ a test. So, I prayed, and heart, "Yes." Because I've been in a place where my self-confidence isn't as high as it's been, of course I doubted what I heard, so I asked again and got a second affirmative response. Then I decided I wasn't going to 'listen', but try to feel what the right answer was. Everything in me said that she was pregnant. So, I gave her the 'bad news' (not really a 'planned pregnancy'), saying, "I guess we'll find out if I'm a prophet," fully expecting to be way off. Nope! A couple of days later, tests confirmed that she was, indeed, pregnant; and, there was much rejoicing. We both felt this little person is truly a gift, and not a curse at all (no, it's not my kid!!).

Second, I received an email from two other great friends, saying that they - after a year and 1/2 engagement, so far - have decided that they were indeed getting married. How exciting!! Especially, considering I'll be quite involved in this wedding. I can hardly wait!!!

Then, later that night, a few friends stopped by my house unexpectedly - which happens quite frequently, as my roommates and I very openly welcome visitors to come by any time... even if we're not home! It had been a rough day for one, in particular. They found out that morning that they have a disease that more often than not leads to cancer, and is doomed to no less than a year of offensive testing.
Oh, how I lamented in my heart. I couldn't say anything - no words came. They're quite a strong friend, so I thought any words I said to try to bring comfort would come out trite; and, I did not feel strong or faithful enough to pray out loud with them. God, don't let this disease claim this life!!


Is it just coincidence that these 2 announcement come the day after such a transforming realization of myself? I mean, if they had come a week earlier, I'm not sure that I could have rejoiced as much with the first 2 friends, nor even mourned with the 3rd, due to the week emotional state I was in.
Was the revelation a move of God to prepare me to be a better friend to these 3, or was it the change in my consciousness that allowed my friends to be able to tell me these great accounts in their lives? The spiritual realm is something I just don't understand; but, I do believe that it probably has more to do with 'reality' than what we do see and perceive.

Whatever the case, I am so thankful that these friends thought me worthy enough to be among the first people they shared their big news with. It seems that the Lord is answering my prayers, to make me into as good a friend as possible (there's a line in a recent Tim McGraw song - "Live Like You Were Dying" - that says, "I was finally the friend a friend would like to have," that has really inspired me.). Praise you, Jesus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home